Tuesday 10 April 2012

Ikan Bilis Powder



What I like using this ikan bilis powder is to make soup, especially Yong Tau Foo soup. I know that most of the people boil the soup base with ikan bilis and yellow beans. I do not know why in my family (from my late grandmother), we use a different method to make Yong Tau Foo soup. We use a little oil to fry the ikan bilis and slices of ginger till fragrance then add water. We boil the soup for about 30 minutes and then add the ingredients. Until today, we still make this soup base for Yong Tau Foo or tofu. Recently I learnt to make the powder from Noobcook's blog. By using ikan bilis powder, the soup tastes the same or even better. Of course it also save a lot of hassles throwing the ikan bilis away.

Idea for soup, porridge and stir fry.

Mainly adapted from Noobcook.

Ingredient:
Ikan Bilis

Methods:

1. Wash the ikan bilis to remove the dirt and salt.

2. Pad them dry with kitchen towels.

3. Pan fried them evenly on the non stick pan (no oil!).

4. When the ikan bilis turn brown and crispy, turn off the heat and let it cool.

5. Grind the ikan bilis into powder.

6. Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment