Sunday 15 April 2012

Fried Fish Bee Hoon Soup



I had Fried Fish Bee Hoon soup few days ago. The fish was badly fried. Too much of flour I guess... I used to love Fish Bee Hoon but my favorite stall is quite far from my place. Maxwell market. I used to patron the stall when I was working there few years ago.

Today, I have the craving for this piping hot Thick Bee Hoon Soup. So I decided to make this for dinner. Hehehe... As it was too late to go wet market to buy fresh fish, I bought all the ingredients from NTUC. And I added additional 'Liao'. Prawns and squids!!!
Serve 6

Ingredients:

2 Toman Fish fillets (sliced)
12 prawns (deveined and cooked)
1 small squid (cut into bite sizes)
2 packets of thick bee hoon (blanched)
Choy Sum
1/2 Bitter gourd (sliced thinly)
Ginger (sliced thinly)
2 tomatoes (quartered)
3 liters chicken stock
2 tsp ikan bilis powder
Sesame oil
Hua Diao wine
Pepper
Cooking oil

Garnish:
Spring onions
Fried shallots

Methods:

1. Rub 1 tbsp of salt with the bitter gourd for a minute and soak with water for 30 minutes. Rinse off the salt with water and set aside.

2. Cut the fish into thick slices and marinate with a little salt.

3. Boil the chicken stock in a big pot and add 2 tsp of ikan bilis powder. Let it boil for another 10 minutes and turn off the heat.

4. Deep fry the fish slices until golden. Set aside.

5. Divide the blanched bee boon into 6 bowls.

To cook individually:

1. Heat a small pot (for 1 pax). Add few drops of sesame oil and 1 tsp cooking oil. Sauté 5 slices of ginger.

2. Add the stock (about 400ml) into the pot and let it boil.

3. Toss in a quartered tomato, bitter gourd and squid rings. Cook for 2 minutes.

4. Toss in the fried fish and prawns.

5. Add 3 tbsp of evaporated milk and let it boil.

6. Toss in a handful of Choy Sum and add a dash of sesame oil, Hua Diao wine and salt to taste. Turn off the heat. Pour into the bowl of thick bee hoon. Sprinkle pepper.

7. Garnish with fried shallots and spring onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment