Thursday, 26 April 2012
Doenjang Jjigae (Korean Bean Paste Soup)
I love Doenjang Jjigae the most in Korean cuisine. I think mainly it is because I love fermented bean paste. Chinese soy bean paste (taucheo), Miso and Doenjang! The soup is flavoursome though only requires minimum of cooking time. You can add prawns, clams or squid too!
3 tbsp Doenjang (Korean soy bean paste)
1 box soft tofu
1 pack of enoki mushrooms
1/2 onions (cubed)
1 zucchini (cubed or cut into crescents)
1 or more tbsp chilli flakes
1 chilli padi (chopped)
2 tsp ikan bilis powder
Green or red chilli (sliced)
Spring onion (sliced)
1. Boil the water in a pot. Once the water starts to boil, add the ikan bilis powder.
2. Add the Doenjang paste into the boiling water. Mash the paste with a spoon.
3. Toss in the onions and zucchini. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add the chilli flakes and chilli padi. Stir.
5. Add the tofu and enoki mushrooms. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Garnish with chilli and spring onions. Serve with rice.