Tuesday, 1 May 2012
Old Cucumber Soup (老黄瓜汤)
Old cucumber soup is one of my fave soup. Why? I just like to eat the old cucumber after simmered for few hours. They are soft like jelly. You could scoop and mash the old cucumber lightly and blend with the soup! The soup is full of flavour and goodness!
1 old cucumber (remove the seeds, cut into big pieces)
18 seedless red dates
1 carrot (cut into big pieces)
1 handful wolfberries
300g chicken breasts
3 litres water
1. Boil the water in a big pot.
2. Once the water starts to boil rapidly, scoop some hot water and scald the chicken breasts. Drain and set aside.
3. Put the chicken breasts, carrots and old cucumber into the pot. Add the red dates. Boil with high heat for 5 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 2 hours.
5. Toss in the wolfberries and simmer for another 30 minutes.
6. Add salt and stir. Turn off the heat.