3 chicken thighs (skinned and deboned, scalded with hot water)
1 1/2 cup of rice (soaked for 20 minutes)
3 pcs ginger (julienned)
Chopped spring onions
Fried shallot with oil
Few drops sesame oil
Julienned young ginger
Light soy sauce (optional)
1. Boil about 3 litres of water in a big pot.
2. Once the water starts to boil rapidly, put in the chicken thighs and bones. Simmer for 30 minutes and remove the chicken thighs. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.
3. When the chicken thighs have cooled down, shred them.
4. Remove the chicken bones. Add the rice into the pot and let it cook. Stir in between. Add more water in between and keep stirring. Once the rice have soften and break, add some salt and julienned ginger. Turn the heat off and leave the pot covered for about 15 minutes.
5. Turn the heat up again and add more water. Keep stirring till you get a smooth consistency.
6. Ladle the congee into a bowl. Add some shredded chicken, you tiao, julienned ginger, chopped spring onions and fried shallots on the congee.
7. Add few drops of sesame oil and a dash of pepper.