I still have some glutinous rice left from making the Mango sticky rice. I didn't want to waste that 800g of glutinous rice until the next mango season!
I was thinking what I can make with glutinous rice. Ok, why not glutinous rice in lotus leaf? And I have a nice pot of braised pork belly simmering in the kitchen. So I decided to mix the rice with the braised pork belly and let them steam for an hour. Wow, it was really fragrant with the lotus leaf. Oh yes, please add some salt, oyster sauce or soy sauce (with the glutinous rice, braised pork belly and sauce), otherwise it will taste bland as the pork belly sauce isn't salty enough to cover 500g of rice! That is why I added 1 tsp of salt while mixing everything.
500g glutinous rice (soaked for 3 hrs)
30g dried shrimps (washed)
4 lotus leaves (cooked with hot water for a minute and continue to soak for a minute before removing)
6 dried mushroom (soaked till soften, sliced thinly)
8 pieces of braised pork belly (pls look at my Braised Pork Belly Recipe)
400ml of braised sauce (pls look at my Braised Pork Belly Recipe)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp cooking oil
Chopped spring onions
1. After soaking for 3 hours, drain the glutinous rice and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a non stick pan. Sauté the dried shrimps.
3. Add the dried mushrooms and sauté.
4. Add the braised pork belly, sauce and salt into the pan. Let it boil and turn the heat.
5. Add the glutinous rice into the pan and mix well. After a while, the sauce should have dried up in the pan. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
6. Wipe the lotus leaves dry. Divide the rice mixture into 4. Carefully place 1/4 of the rice onto each leaf. Wrap like an envelope. You may secure it with toothpicks.
7. Steam for an hour. Sprinkle with fried shallot and spring onions!