300g salty preserved vegetables (Mei Cai)
100g sweet preserved vegetables
4 cloves garlic
350-400g pork belly (cut into chunks and marinate with 1 tbsp of thick dark soy sauce)
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp thick dark soy sauce
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp cooking wine
Preparation to wash the vegetables:
1. Rinse the salty vegetables. Using a big pot, soak for 30 min and rinse the vegetables few times until the water is clear. Squeeze dry and set aside.
2. Do the same for the sweet vegetable except that no need to soak for long time.
3. Using a big pot, boil some water. Once the water starts to boil rapidly, put in the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables and let them cool.
By doing the steps, the vegetables should be thoroughly cleansed off all the sand particles. After the vegetables have cooled, cut into 1cm length.
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non stick pan. Pan fry the pork belly. Set aside.
2. Using the same pan, sauté the garlic. Add the vegetables and stir fry for a minute.
3. Add the sauce and stir well. Cook for 10 minutes and the sauce have reduced by now. Turn he heat off.
4. Place the pork belly on the steam bowl. Then add the vegetables and the sauce to cover the pork. Steamed for 2 hours.
After steaming for 2 hours, I continue to cook the dish with crock pot for another 2 hours. The pork belly would be very very tender and flavorful by then.